|THE REASONS||THE NUMBERS|
Barcelona is the gateway to southern Europe, the capital of the Mediterranean, North Africa and a bridging platform to reach Latin America.
- With 1.6 million inhabitants, Barcelona is at the heart of a metropolitan area that has a population of almost 5 million people.
- The city's cosmopolitan spirit is shown by the amount of foreign residents, 17% of the total population.
|Easy to get to and well-connected internationally
This is the only city in Southern Europe that brings together one of the biggest ports in the Mediterranean, an international airport, highways connected to the European network and a TGV high speed train station.
- The city has Europe's 10th largest airport in terms of number of passengers (35 million).
- The Port of Barcelona is the Mediterranean's top port and the 4th in the world in terms of number of cruise passengers (2.6 million).
|Engine driving a large diversified economic area
The city has a long-standing industrial tradition and a dense network of firms, and it has made a strategic commitment to the knowledge economy.
- Catalonia's GDP almost accounts for 20% of Spain's total, and GDP per capita exceeds the European average by 14%.
- Catalonia has the highest number of innovative companies in Spain (23%).
- Barcelona stands 11th and 5th respectively in the world and European rankings for scientific production.
- The city has more than 100,000 professionals working in creative industries.
| ||An entrepreneurial and business-friendly city
Barcelona has a long-standing tradition in business, commerce and trade, and entrepreneurship and its ecosystem favours the setting up of new businesses.
- The area around Barcelona is home to 435,000 businesses, 14% of all firms in Spain.
- The rate of entrepreneurial activity (TEA) in and around Barcelona is 6.7%.
- Barcelona has a stock of 6 million m2 of office space.
|Magnet for talent
Barcelona has a highly-qualified pool of specialists and 48% of active professionals are working in the knowledge economy. It also attracts international talent thanks to the prestige of its business schools and universities, which are ranked amongst the world's best.
- The employment rate (65.9%) is above the averages in Spain and Europe.
- 54% of employees are working in knowledge-intensive sectors.
- Barcelona has two business schools in the top 10 in Europe and top 25 worldwide.
Barcelona has an open economy that is connected to the world, where foreign firms can invest successfully.
- Exports exceed € 45,000 million and it is Spain's top urban area in terms of exports.
- Barcelona has over 40,000 companies that export, 30% of all exporting firms in Spain.
- 90% of the more than 5,000 foreign companies in Catalonia are located in the area in and around Barcelona.
- Barcelona is the 4th top European urban area in terms of foreign investment projects received.
|Leader in strategic sectors
The city offers interesting business and investment opportunities in strategic economic sectors with great future potential.
- The city's main strategic sectors are ICTs, logistics, foodstuffs, commerce and tourism, and new areas like biomedicine and electric vehicles.
- Barcelona is the 4th best European city in terms of overnights by international tourists (14 million).
- Barcelona is the 4th city in the world in terms of number of international congress delegates received (2013).
- It is the 2nd best European city in terms of shopping appeal for international consumers.
| ||Ambitious city projects
Barcelona is constantly transforming itself, with policy commitments to ICT and mobile technologies, providing private initiatives great opportunities for the future.
- Barcelona accounts for 45% of ICT companies in Catalonia.
- Being the Mobile World Capital until 2018 is driving the city's mobile ecosystem.
- Barcelona is the 4th top smart city in Europe and 7th in the world in terms of electric mobility development.
| ||Best quality of life in Europe|
Barcelona is internationally renowned for its quality of life.
- Barcelona has topped the ranking of cities with the highest quality of life for workers in Europe for the last 14 years, according to the European Cities Monitor.
- According to the UN's Habitat Agency, Barcelona is ranked 5th best city in the world regarding this indicator.
- Over 80% of urban trips are made using some kind of sustainable urban transport.
- The city has 9 World Heritage Sites.
| ||A city brand that adds value|
Barcelona is now internationally recognised.
- Barcelona is amongst the leading positions in the most prestigious rankings, and placed 6th best in the world in terms of its global brand, according to Guardian Cities Global Brand Barometer.